April 18, 2014

A Guy, a Zombie And a Dog Using Unity3D And Microsoft Kinect

I promised we would release another Kinect video this week, we just needed a lil more time to work on stuff. If you remember my previous post on the matter, I mentioned this is just a side-project whose potential we are actually still exploring.
It does look promising, and yes, it does look fun (as you probably already guessed, “fun” is a big part of our work routine, but not everything’s always as fun as this mind you!).

Ok I know what you’re about to say, “dude you’re kicking a poor dog :/ ” WELL, first of all, it’s a coyote not a dog – despite what the title of the post says. Second, come on it’s just a demo, no real coyotes (or dogs) were hurt in the making of this demo, I promise.

By now, the system can recognize 2 avatars without problems, and they can interact between each other (material for another video wink wink) and interact with stuff on the background, like our poor coyote. The second guy in the demo is actually a zombie because we felt like adding some spice to the whole thing.

I’ll leave it to you to imagine practical uses for this, even though I’ll be sure to provide ample examples when all this will get a lot more tuned and finalized.

Some due credits, on the left our CEO Francesco Marcantoni, on the right our CTO Francesco Gallorini.

Comments

1. Charles Baratta
    Twitter: huntingtonlive

Cool Kinect update!

I was really about to mention about kicking poor dogs.. Ohh i mean coyote!
    Is there any device attached to the persons body so the 3D image can copy the persons action?

I bet you could also change the avatar from zombie to any WoW characters.. that would more cooler!
    Looking forward for more updates.

We can change the avatar to any anthropomorphic one actually, and no, the Kinect doesn’t require any sensor on people’s body, it’s able to recognize shapes independently.
      The Kinect is an awesome piece of hardware, we just made it able to “talk” to our Macs with open source drivers and coded the necessary scripts in Unity3D for the actual “game”. The potential of this is very interesting and limitless.

2. Tristan@Blogging Tips
    Twitter: tristanhigbee

I like the zombie avatar! I love zombie movies, so I’m a bit partial.

This is really cool, Gabrielle. I’ll be interested in hearing what some of the future uses of this could be, because frankly this is something I’ve never thought about before :)
    Tristan@Blogging Tips recently posted..101 Killer Blog Post Ideas

Thank you Tristan, glad you like it. Honestly, the system supports 3 avatars and the video was gonna feature all of them, but we had some small problem in the end and rather than waiting one more day we released the video as is, we are impatient guys I guess! And anyway this gives us more material for new videos ;)

3. Suzanne Vara says:

Love it! Thanks so much for the update. Please keep them coming!

4. Petya N. Georgieva
    Twitter: pgeorgieva

You are great, guys! The video is real fun and it makes me wanna try it myself! :)

5. Thank you Gabriele Maidecchi , it’s great post,

Keep bloging :)

6. Alex@jocuri says:

This looks cool, i already can see this being used in games, like first person shooters or rpgs. Of course this can be used in so many other ways, like controlling a robot remotely :). That would be totally awesome!
    Alex@jocuri recently posted..Camione cu remorca

7. Ok I got to admit I find that incredible, it make me want to play it so bad!
    Ali Mujtaba@Tinnitus recently posted..Symptoms Of Tinnitus

Thanks Ali, I am glad you find it incredible, it’s actually fascinating to think this can be done without using body sensors of any kind, big kudos to Microsoft for making such a fine device for a very affordable price

8. I like this video. It’s really fun Keep it up

9. Jocuri Online
    Twitter: jocuri12

The movie doesn’t play, what is wrong, Im using firefox and I have flash installed

10. You guys were giving that coyote some hell! Hah! I love the Kinect; it really is something amazing.

11. zozo says:

full crap without source
    this you call share?

I didn’t call it anything actually, besides, go on and show me what you got if you call this crap. I call it “dicking around with something fun”, if I really have to call it something :p

12. This is simply incredible. It’s really fascinating how far technology has brought us…things that used to only seem possible in movies. Sorry for the bump on an old post, but I’m really diggin the updates on your blog. Especially after I received my friendship acceptance from the “office plants.”

Hah don’t worry it’s all good. I gotta say we didn’t experiment much further with the Kinect, but seen as now there’s an official Microsoft support – although with limitations – who knows.

13. Predrag Popovic says:

Hi guys, this looks good, I m software engineer and just started to experiment with kinect and unity is there some guidelines you could give me on writing scripts for collisions and triggering. Like your example avatar and the coyote I fail to write a good script on colliding avatar with other objects and avatar triggering some other event on touching object. Any help appriciated

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kinect Watch, Esimple Studios. Esimple Studios said: A Guy, a Zombie And a Dog Using Unity3D And Microsoft Kinect | Esimple Studios Blog http://t.co/Ib2jynU [...]