July 22, 2014

Get Ready to Fight: Commenting Platforms Face-Off (POLL)

Get Ready to Fight: Commenting Platforms Face-Off

In my October’s post about the reasons behind my switching to CommentLuv+DoFollow a lot of people commented their impression and view on this change, and their personal experience with the blogs they run (and I thank all of them, that’s still one of the most successful posts of this blog).

I keep getting comments on that, especially from people who are using different commenting platforms (for example, IntenseDebate), so, in light also of the latest Facebook commenting system, I decided to write this post as a sort of repository for everything there is to know about all the various systems laying around.

But I won’t simply write my opinion on them or an HowTo or in-depth description of each of them. I will limit myself to naming them, giving a quick overview and asking YOU readers to give your opinion on them, because, quite frankly, no one can speak about a product better than the people using it in first place.

What commenting platform are you using in your blog?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Wild Jungle

There are many commenting systems out there, as you all know.

Let’s see more in detail, trying to keep it descriptive and neutral:

Disqus

A wildly popular system which interfaces with your WordPress commenting system providing a very cool front-end and adding a “social” layer to the whole experience.

Disqus uses an internal anti-spam engine and manages several posting preferences, like various login systems (Twitter and Google included), user’s profile, customization of the posting form and so on.

The centralized website allows you to register and setup your personal commenting platform within minutes.

CommentLuv

This WordPress plugin adds the ability for people commenting on a post to show a link to their latest post, which can be selected from a drop-down menu among the latest 10 posts (this behavior can be changed and functionalities added with a paid option). Additionally, one can check the commenter’s profile and their latest activity in CommentLuv enabled blogs.

It is an addition to WordPress own commenting system adding the chance to make your blog become part of an ever-growing blogging community.

Popular additions to this are the DoFollow plugin (so that your commenters will be rewarded by Mr. Google for leaving a comment in your blog with a backlink to their own) and the KeywordLuv one (which allows you to add a custom way to link back to your website with relevant keywords instead of using a ridiculous name like many do).

IntenseDebate

This system is similar to Disqus, adding commenter’s profiles, reply-by-email, reputation, comment-voting and many other options to your WordPress comments.

I honestly never used this platform from an admin’s perspective, so it’s only fair to link to their official Features list.

Facebook

As I mentioned before, Facebook recently launched its own commenting platform. Of course it makes use of every feature Facebook is popular for, for example you can Like any comment and make it appear in your personal stream.

Comments posted this way will appear with your Facebook first and last name, this helps fighting spam at the cost of privacy (which is a good deal if you ask me). However people without a Facebook account will be locked out, if this is your only source of comments.

Now It’s Up To You

I listed the 4 most popular systems, but I am sure there are many out there. Perhaps you use them, perhaps you don’t and just go with the basic WordPress comments, or maybe you use something else.

My question to you is very simple: can you name 3 reasons why anyone would want to use the commenting system you use in your own blog?

Comments

1. Patricia@lavender oil
    Twitter: lavenderuses

Hi Gabriele

I use Commluv and enjoy being part of that community. It has helped to get my small niche blog out there and many commluv bloggers are now friends. They have been very supportive of my blogging journey. t

With commluv, showing my latest post means many more people know what I have just published. This has brought me new visitors to my site and increased my traffic.

Have connected with many outside my niche and learnt heaps from more experienced bloggers/marketers that I would not have know about without the commluv plugin. I also have keywordluv, and I’m happy to share linkluv with my readers.

Patricia Perth Australia
    Patricia@lavender oil recently posted..Comments Do Not Equal Sales!

I agree with you Patricia, I particularly value the community potential of CommentLuv, which, as far as I can say, it’s far beyond the other “contestants” I mentioned. Probably the Facebook commenting system is some different planet altogether regarding community value, but for different reasons.

2. Alex@Jocuri says:

I don’t use a commenting platform, since my website isn’t wp and I coded it myself, but I will share my thoughts about those that you listed.

First, disqus, I don’t really like it, I don’t know why but when I see it it’s just repulsive, seems cumbersome and hard to use (although is pretty straight forward and you can login with lots of accounts).

CommentLuv is a platform? Well, I think it’s an addition, and I think it’s obvious why everyone loves it.

I like intensedebate, because it has that cool community feature that helps you vote posts up or down, depending on how you see it, except that I don’t really know much about it.

Facebook, it’s great but the fact remains that the content from the comments it’s not on your website and you will most likely won’t benefit in the search engines if your users contribute with great advices and tips.
    Alex@Jocuri recently posted..Haine si stil

CommentLuv isn’t really a platform, true that, but since it’s used as an alternative to Disqus/Intensedebate/whatnot, I felt it was ok to mention it as one.
      I too never really bothered much with Intensedebate, mostly ’cause of bad timing, I started noticing it when I had just adopted Disqus (when we started this blog) and then when I switched to CommentLuv I didn’t really think of it at all.
      The point you make about Facebook is a VERY valid one: Disqus syncs with your blog’s comments, CommentLuv is based on them, IntenseDebate I am not 100% sure but Facebook surely doesn’t put the comments in your DB, which can be more than an inconvenient if and when you decide to switch to another platform, as you’ll basically start from scratch.

3. Marcus Sheridan-The Sales Lion
    Twitter: thesaleslion

I’ll take comment Luv all day, combined with ReplyMe plugin Gabriele.

Like Patricia, it’s all about community for me and I personally like to see the stuff other people are writing, and CLuv makes that real easy.

One thing that’s important to note, in my opinion, is that CLuv is easy to use and understand for non techie blog readers, unlike something like Disqus or ID, which require you to use social media accounts or fill out more forms or whatever. I remember when I first jumped on the blogosphere I found quite a few of these platforms to be intimidating to the average Joe, ya know what I mean?

Thanks,

Marcus
    Marcus Sheridan-The Sales Lion recently posted..How to Will Success into Your Life…One Blog Article at a Time

Yes I know what I mean Marcus, I presume the point is, as Alex mentioned up there in a comment, CommentLuv isn’t even a real platform but more like an add-on, so being based on WP standard commenting system it feels a lot more natural than the other systems I listed. For all of them you have to sign-up yet for another service and that can be a daunting task for the less tech-savvy of us.

4. Overall I think this one’s a no-brainer. CommentLuv encourages people to comment, while the other platforms, if you will, encourage people to “sign up for this service” that most of us don’t want to do. Many say it reduces spam; there are plugins that reduce spam. Your poll isn’t the first one to show that CommentLuv is preferable, but so far your numbers are much higher in its favor than I’m used to seeing.
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted..Twitter Mix Of Sociability And Business

I probably didn’t do a smart move posting this on Friday, I will probably skip my tuesday posting and let this sink a bit more, to get more feedback on votes, but you’re right, CommentLuv is winning badly. I think the reason is also partly because my blog’s audience is partially coming from CommentLuv itself, so it’s natural it’s getting more feedback.

5. Dan Mathews@Glucosamine
    Twitter: saqibkhan1984

I would say nothing else should matter if the comment have quality knowledge relating to the content of the blog.

6. Speaking as a commentator rather than as a blogger, I find there’s a slight problem with the CommentLuv plugin in that it looks for an RSS feed on your URL and if it doesn’t find one it registers an error; three errors and your URL is “banned” so you then have to go to the CommentLuv website to “unban” it. Easily remedied if you remember to uncheck the CLuv checkbox before commenting. It’s obviously designed for commentators with blogs and useful if you have one. I find KeywordLuv a useful plugin, and I don’t see the faults that others see in DisqUS, which is quite user friendly and you don’t need to be a WordPress graduate to use it. Don’t think I’ve used Intense Debate.

The CommentLuv problem you mentioned is something I fell into at least once. My blog wasn’t reachable for a few minutes and that was enough to “blacklist” me, and I had to go unlock it manually on CommentLuv’s website.
      Disqus is user-friendly enough, but I still kinda prefer a more traditional commenting system rather than a dedicated external platform.

• Andy Bailey
        Twitter: commentluv

wow, what a great discussion! now, who shall I vote for? :p

I am currently writing the next generation of commentluv, it will do away with the ban list by using your own blog as the machine that does the fetching so no more bans for anyone! :)

I’ll also be allowing the blog owner to decide if they want users to have 10 posts or not, you can even only let readers have 1 post to choose from unless they register on YOUR site. See my last blog post link for a video where I explain in more details (albeit in a slightly crazy manic way)
        Andy Bailey recently posted..Screaming onion choppers!

Oh that’s great! And glad to have you here, now I can’t wait to see a shiny “1″ badge on my Plugin updates count :D

• ileane
          Twitter: Ileane

I’m not sure who to vote for either…. (jk) :)
          CommentLuv hands down, and I’m going off to have a big party now that Andy has said the new version will have no more bans!! Yippeee!!
          Sorry about that I got a little carried away. :)

I Stumbled and retweeted. Can’t wait to see the results of the poll. Great job Gabriele!
          ileane recently posted..CommentLuv Secrets Leaked

Thanks a lot ileane, yeah now we just have to wait for the new version, I know the feeling :)

• Andy Bailey
              Twitter: commentluv

I’ll be making an update site soon where you can signup and receive updates the to dev process and even give your feedback on what you want to see in the new plugin. I wont fit it all the the 2.9 version but lots and lots of things can be added to a premium version after that.

hope to see you around!
              Andy Bailey recently posted..Screaming onion choppers!

7. Dan Fonseca
    Twitter: whoisdanfonseca

Gabriele,

My vote is for Facebook with Disqus coming in as a close second. You just can’t beat Facebook’s brand loyalty and familiarity. The improved “like” button will also help drive more content to Facebook (if that was even possible). Regardless, every option is a great one.

Thanks for the post buddy!

-Dan

It’s hard to beat Facebook, it’s true, but take TechCrunch for example. They saw a drastic lowering of numbers of comments since they implemented a Facebook-only system. I doubt all blogs would be ok with that. Obviously TechCrunch is allowed to make such a move but can other blog owners?
      So far I have seen Facebook comments implemented along with other systems, not uniquely.

8. William Tha Great
    Twitter: Bomb_hipster

Hey Gabriele,

Thanks for the awesome article!

I believe commentluv is the best. More times than none I don’t even like commenting on blogs that have the other commenting platforms. I think the one you are using is perfect. It makes it easy for anyone to drop by and leave a comment. I hate commenting platforms you have to sign up for. I don’t have time for all that. I just want to leave my thoughts and not go through all the hassles.

God bless,
    William Veasley
    William Tha Great recently posted..My Trusty Pen and Paper!

I agree with you William, that’s exactly the reason why I switched to CommentLuv. Leaving a comment can be kind of “spur of the moment” thing, I’d hate to kill that moment for lack of usability.

9. DailyAppNews says:

I don’t use any commenting platforms that you mentioned. I just use commenting standard from WordPress. I have never try one of all that you mentioned. do they have impact on a blog?
    DailyAppNews recently posted..US Outsiders Now Can Listen to Pandora Radio Following This Hack

CommentLuv+DoFollow did have a kinda huge impact on my blog, with a steady increase in comments and a general feeling of “community” slowly growing around it.
      So yeah, I really couldn’t recommend the combo more.

10. I’ve seen more and more people using Facebook for comments, but for some strange reason i can’t make myself switch to it. I just feel like Facebook i growing too fast and will soon crash under its own weight.
    Well, i haven’t completely dismissed the possibility of using it, i’m still thinking of it because it’s really promising. It’s just that i like to do things on the long term, and i don’t know for how long Facebook will still be around.
    Maria Pavel@CNA Training recently posted..Certified Nursing Assistant Practice Test

Well I am not sure Facebook will crash anytime soon, but on the other side MySpace and Yahoo! seemed almighty and immortal as well just a few years back. You never know, in this line of business.
      I dislike Facebook comments mainly because, well, you need a Facebook account, and the comments are not truly “yours”.

11. Atulperx
    Twitter: atulperx

I never gave so much importance to these comment systems but I never like this Disqus system . Because if I am reading any blog post from public cafe or if it ask me to login to post comment than I won’t do this thing . Because it is not my personal pc and may have keylogger installed in it .
    Atulperx recently posted..Photo Manipulation Tutorials- 50 Awesome Photoshop Manipulation Tutorials

12. Petya N. Georgieva
    Twitter: pgeorgieva

I use CommentLuv thanks to you, Gabriele. When I am commenting on other blogs, I can see that CommentLuv is really one of the best solutions and I am so glad I am using it for my blog :)

13. I use intense debate, but I have comment luv installed through intense debate. I use both, but intense debate has a lot of technical difficulties at times.

14. Kelvin Lee
    Twitter: sourcesqr

I used commluv back in a year or two when my website was still on WordPress (now on Drupal). It was a truly ingenious idea that helped building a more successfully blog community, even when all the SEOs were still in flame debating whether or not one should allow links in comments. I guess CommLuv now has proved them all wrong?

Rock on fellow CommLuvers. Perhaps someday will join you guys when it’s available in Drupal? :)

Well Andy is here on the comments as well, maybe you can convince him to make a Drupal version or ask for people to help in that? Good luck with that and I hope to see you back in the “team” :)

15. Shiva @ Money Making Ideas
    Twitter: netchunks

Commentluv has always been my best commenting platform, never used Intense debate nor Disqus, find both very irritating even when I see those being used in other blogs. My vote is always with commentluv helps a lot in building backlinks as well as enables us to give something back to the community in the form of Comment luv/backlink luv
    Shiva @ Money Making Ideas recently posted..OIOpublisher Coupon Code – OIO Publisher Review

I agree Shiva, those are the reasons why I initially tested it and then switched to it permanently.
      I used Disqus before that but honestly I don’t see me switching back anytime soon.

16. Suzanne Vara says:

I use disqus and really like it. I am quite interested in the fact that no one who voted uses Facebook. It got a big fat ZERO!

I am not so sure that people are ready to go to a Facebook only commenting system. I am not sure if I would comment on a blog that uses FB. For the biz page, sure it is great to get some communications on there and show fans what I am reading and get them to interact but other than that, I like options. If FB does allow people to log in with their twitter I think we would see more people downloading.

Ana’s motivation against Facebook posted further down on comments is a really valid one, indeed, I didn’t really think about it through but it makes sense.
      If FB will allow people to use other ways of logging (I doubt to be honest, it kinda disrupts how Facebook works at all, but who knows), maybe it will be a more valid system, but still no link-love, so not sure really.

17. Sheila Atwood
    Twitter: SheilaAtwood

Gabriele,

I have been happy with Comment Luv. I like seeing the name of posts others have written and go to see what they have to say. Like others have said, there is a sense of community.

Disqus puts a stop on the comment line that I do not like.

It may seem hard to believe but not every one is on Facebook.

I am looking forward to the changes Andy has planned.
    Sheila Atwood recently posted..A Super Alternative For Sharing Your Personal Blog Photo

Looking at someone’s last posts is always a good way to find new blogs to read to expand your interests, I agree with you.
      I too am looking forward to Andy’s new version, I suspect we are not the only ones at that ;)

18. Ana @ Best Autoresponders
    Twitter: WebTrafficCafe

Here’s what I know about some of these, Gabriele:

-Disqus is a nofollow system; last time I checked anyway.

-ComLuv of course is not a comment system at all.

-Nothing against Intense Debate other than the fact that it absolutely drives me nuts because they allow you only that many characters in your name field.

-Facebook comments are the worst from the users’ perspective and unfortunately the users don’t even know it. The problem with them is that they do not get indexed by search engines, so all those commentators think they are getting link juice from their comments (because the comments “appear” to be dofollow), when in that none of their links will ever see the light of day.

Hope this helps.

Ana
    Ana @ Best Autoresponders recently posted..How to Build a List- Rich Man- Poor Man List Building

Thank you Ana for the clarification!
      ComLuv isn’t a commenting system, it’s true, perhaps it wasn’t fair to even include it in the list, but I really didn’t know how to categorize it. It’s some sort of hybrid system, even if technically it’s just a plugin adding a function to WP’s already perfectly valid commenting system.
      I didn’t know of that limitation of IntenseDebate, that’s a shame because it’s more like a hard limit imposed by their coders than anything that makes sense.
      I agree with you on Facebook, even if I didn’t have hard evidence I got kinda for granted Facebook wouldn’t let you take any advantage from their own popularity in this case.

19. Hi Gabrielle, Out of those 4 you discussed, I have used 3 of them except the Facebook one. First I used Disqus because of the threaded comments but eventually got rid of it. Then I used intensedebate but also got fed up with it. I use Commentluv and it’s my favorite because it automatically pulls your last post or any or your last 10 post that you pick. Although it doesn’t get indexed by G, I still use it to promote a link, to be honest.
    Anne Sales @ Coupon Codes recently posted..GoDaddy Coupon Code

WordPress by default supports threaded comments, you just have to enable it in the Settings.
      Apart from that, nothing new here, I completely agree with you on your reasons to prefer CommentLuv, can’t wait for the new version.

20. nazimwarriach
    Twitter: PakistanHotline

Hi Gabriele,
    I personally like CommentLuv with the combination of KeywordLuv as it is very helpful to build a community. It is interesting to know that CommentLuv enabled blogs get more healthy comments as compared to others.
    Regards
    nazimwarriach recently posted..GoDaddy Coupon Code

Building a community is indeed one of CommentLuv’s advantages, as it taps on the very active community of users it already has. A true win-win approach.

21. Merchant Cash Advance
    Twitter: huntingtonlive

I think I remember you posting an article related to commenting platform.
    I much more prefer a commenting platform where we can include the Name, email, site, comment(just like the one you’re using) but with am Edit option in case of any corrections.

The Edit option is something I should research a bit upon, I don’t see it included often, apart Disqus which has it on by default (I believe). I am not even sure there’s a plugin for that, but I guess I’ll see what I can find out.

22. I feel that CommentLuv appeals to the general masses, where as the others require far too much effort for a simple post. At the same time, though, I can see why people use the others as a spam-filter. It’s just hard because there are some out there that don’t have a Facebook or YahooID, etc. I do like KeywordLuv with CommentLuv. I feel like it encourages people more, especially because KeywordLuv restricts the automated comments out.

I agree with you, it sure is the most user-friendly solution as it doesn’t require any additional step or menu-navigation, just write and go.

23. My vote is for commentluv. I see more blogs having this plugin and it’s been great for me. Great topic to get readers involved :)

24. Dwain Sipler says:

I always vote for commentluv because aside from the satisfaction of having links to your recent post, it helps you to become popular to people and to the internet.
    Dwain Sipler recently posted..Credit Card Payment